Wednesday 8 October 2014

March 2014 - Nest box shenanigans

I arrived in Cyprus this year in early March; the idea being that I’ll have time to collect the newly shipped nest boxes from Limassol Port and install them before the first rollers arrive back on territory at the end of the month. Thus ensued a Whacky Races-style drive around Limassol docks as I tried to locate the warehouse holding the new arrivals (including a sudden veer off the road when I spotted a pied kingfisher (a Cyprus rarity) sat on wires alongside the port road!) It soon transpired that it isn’t actually possible to fit 18 large wooden boxes inside a small hire car in one go either, so I racked up the mileage over a few days as I ferried them back piecemeal to the Paphos study area.
 
Pied kingfisher - No. 1 cause of road
accidents in Cyprus
 
It’s probably about time that I also disclose that I have a new love in my life… My newly purchased inflatable roof-rack! No longer do I have to lash my Nemesis (AKA the ladder) onto the hire car roof with random pieces of rope and dog blankets, nor risk destroying the paintwork with it. It’s definitely increased my fieldwork efficiency twofold, and exponentially decreased the number of ladder-induced bruises across my body.
 
My trusty steed for the field season,
surmounted by the inflatable Better Half
 
I’ve been installing the 22 new boxes, and redeploying the 18 from last year, for much of the month. I decided that the older nest boxes had originally been deployed at too high a density to make them useful in providing spatially independent data points (should the rollers choose to use them). This has meant removing them from their original positions and installing them, alongside the new ones, across the study area at approximately 1km intervals. Some of the older boxes are already in a slightly parlous state. Upon removing an unexpectedly heavy one from an almond tree at Androlikou, it became clear that the local rodent population had taken a particular liking to it and had filled it to the brim with almond shells!
 
Nuts
 
Another unexpected problem arose when the clutch on hire car decided to snap in half underfoot whilst I was carrying out a three point turn in the middle of a rural junction. I think that the hire car reps who finally delivered a replacement car were somewhat bemused by the presence of a large folding ladder and 10 large nest boxes on the side of the road…
 
Fail...

Even more fail...
 
Despite the various ups and downs, I have managed to get all 40 nest boxes up and in place before the rollers arrive back on territory. Fingers crossed that they like the look of them! Migration is already in full swing here; I’ve provided a few record shots of some nice bits and bobs that I’ve seen over the last few weeks.  
 
The finished article

Ruppell's warbler

Levant (aucheri) grey shrike: a handful of
previous Cypriot records

Female desert wheatear

Red-throated pipits
 

No comments:

Post a Comment